Tragedy struck Princess Anne county in Maryland today as a family was found dead in their home ruled as carbon monoxide poisoning. The victims were identified as Rodney Todd, 36, and his children: Cameron Todd, 13, and Zycheim Todd, 7; and girls Tynijuiza Todd, 15; Tykira Todd, 12; Tybree Todd, 10; Tyania Todd, 9; and Tybria Todd, 6.
The electricity had been cut off due to an outstanding bill, and the tenant purchased a generator to keep his family warm. The generator was found inside the kitchen, and when it ran out of gasoline the family were overcome by the fumes. Read more on this horrific story here.
While this accident seems unbelievable, it is completely preventable with use of smoke and CO detectors.Taking the proper steps in Carbon Monoxide prevention plays a vital role in your families health. We offer both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and dual detectors, keeping your home safe from these harmful fumes.
Call us today to schedule your installation, 1 (800) 948-MIKE!
What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous, odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas. With its odorless characteristic, you are never knowingly inhaling the deadly gas, something only a detector could sense.
CO is inhaled alongside other fumes, the worst imaginable characteristic as you can’t tell it’s present, unknowingly inhaling it.
Where is CO found?
CO is found in the fumes produced whenever fuel is being burned in a contained area. Tragic CO related accidents have taken place in automobiles, but your home is the culprit most known for omitting CO fumes without obvious reasons. Your stove, grills, fireplaces, or furnaces could all be omitting CO fumes, and you wouldn’t know. This is why scheduling an annual check on your smoke/CO detectors is vital to your health. While smaller amounts of CO are ultra harmful, it’s the larger amounts of Carbon Monoxide that can overcome you in minutes without warning, causing you to lose consciousness and eventually suffocate. This unfortunately, is what happens in a lot of cases, like the tragedy that took the family this morning in Maryland.
What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?
Common symptoms of CO poisoning: “flu-like” symptoms keep most people from going to the doctor immediately, and that’s what makes this situation so much more deadly. Things like: headaches, mental confusion, chest pain, vomiting, weakness, dizziness are among the initial sensations. Rather be safe than sorry, so please do not wait once you have these symptoms, as some people are killed before they are able to make it to the emergency room. Even with the smallest amount of CO, could be deadly.
Who is at risk from CO poisoning?
Carbon Monoxide can kill just about anyone, in any condition. Those with chronic heart diseases, anemia, or breathing problems are more susceptible however, as well as elderly people, and infants. “Every year, more than 400 Americans die from CO poisoning not linked to fires, more than 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized.” ( The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)