As temperatures drop further here in the Washington DC area, we often think to ourselves, “What’s the most efficient setting for my thermostat, while also keeping my house warm enough?” While there may not be one single temperature to “set it and forget it,” here are some good places to start when thinking about heating your home this winter.
• Daytime: 72° F is a good start, but aim for 68° F.
• If nobody is home, or you’re asleep at night, 66° F to 62° F is optimal.
Instead of focusing on a number, establish a heating strategy that you can comfortably enjoy without running your heat constantly. Instead of focusing on a perfect number, you will benefit from establishing an energy-efficient winter heating strategy that will keep your home warm and your thermostat settings reasonable so you won’t face large energy bills. Here are a few tips!
Take It Slow
“Set and forget” might seem like the easiest way to go about your heat setting, but setting the thermostat to one temperature and never changing it will cause a significant increase in your energy bill.
• Set your thermostats at the desired temperature early on.
• Once you are used to the colder weather, lower the temperature setting one degree each week.
• A reduction of one degree for even eight hours can reduce the home’s energy bill by 1% according to Energy.gov.
• Lowering the temperature further for longer periods of time (going away for the holidays, etc) can increase savings.
Programmable Smart Thermostats
While there is no perfect temperature setting in the winter, there are strategies that home-savvy consumers can use to combat high energy bills. The ideal time to lower your thermostat is during the day when the house is empty, or when you are away for multiple days at a time. However many homeowners miss this opportunity due to their thermostat not being easy enough to operate – or they simply forget.
One of the best ways to efficiently heat your home is to invest in a programmable or smart thermostat. Once a smart thermostat has been installed & setup, you can set a schedule to raise/lower the temperature setting for you automatically. If your thermostat connects to Wi-Fi, you often have the ability to set the thermostat right from your phone – even when you’re not home!
For tech-savvy consumers who use our Michael & Son Smart Thermostat by Building 36 Technologies, check out this link to learn about ways to fully automate your HVAC system!
If programmed correctly, a smart thermostat on a schedule can save as much as 15% on your home’s energy consumption!
Other Ways to Stay Warm
To continue to reduce your energy bill further, use preventative measures to keep the heat inside and the cold outside!
• Close doors and vents to unoccupied rooms. This will allow for air to travel more easily to occupied spaces.
• Seal cracks around the windows or door jambs.
• Bundle up – Just because you are inside doesn’t mean you’re at the beach! Wearing sufficient clothing can provide a nice break for your system.
• Schedule a Precision Tune-Up with Michael & Son Services to ensure reliability and efficiency all winter long!
Start Saving Energy!
While there may be no “perfect” temperature setting for the winter, finding a happy medium is doable. Every home and person varies, and sometimes you’ll need to raise the temperature to please everyone – and that’s okay! These tips will allow you to save on heating costs throughout the cold winter months, and you don’t have to rely on your furnace as the only form of warmth. Give us a call today at 1-800-948-MIKE or visit our website to learn more about Michael & Son Services. Also, like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and subscribe to our YouTube channel to find out about upcoming events, special offers and much more! And remember, “If You Can’t, We Can!”